Dr. Liu is a Professor of Radiology and the Director of the UCSD Center for Functional MRI (fMRI).
His areas of research include:
- Investigation of resting-state brain connectivity with multi-modal imaging approaches (fMRI, MEG, and EEG)
- Characterization and modeling of the hemodynamic response to neural activity, including the effects of drugs such as caffeine
- Development and optimization of arterial spin labeling MRI methods for the non-invasive measurement of cerebral blood flow
- Design and analysis of experiments for functional MRI (fMRI), with an emphasis on statistical optimization, nonlinear signal processing, and physiological noise reduction
- Development of quantitative fMRI methods for the study of Alzheimer’s disease and associated disorders.